Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Warm Blanket...


Television commercials often topic the incidence of sneezing, running noses and a cough; or flu-like symptoms. Sometimes the remedy, rather than staying in bed and resting to recuperate, is to utilize a product that relieves obvious symptoms and life goes on as usual.

Years ago, when as a child I may have had a chest ailment, my mother would melt a glob of Vicks™ Vap-o-Rub in a large pot of hot water and then drape a towel over my head to make a tent while I inhaled the camphorated steam. Worked wonders – except nowadays I use a vaporizer and my mother no longer hovers.
The presence of a person who is concerned for one’s wellbeing is a blessing – and cherished.

In the hectic world of hospital medicine..overworked staff and the triage units in Emergency Rooms capably sifting and sorting waiting room attendees by “need” – it is easy to imagine how easily a small thoughtful gesture could easily be eliminated.

Today though, as my husband lay abed with anxiety overwhelming his face, the nurse came along with a warm blanket and tucked it around him. The effect was tangible – he relaxed; and some stress melted away.

Thanks…Florence Nightingale, Clara Barton and Nurse Jane Fuzzy-Wuzzy would each have heartily approved the gesture!

No comments:

Post a Comment