Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Scratching My Head...

Several community-minded colleagues, including me, recently worked with both intensity and good-intention to support a fund-raising event which our corporate Head Office initiated three years ago – across Canada.

While I recognize that it is most often the “same people who do all the work”, it is still a puzzle as to why others might actually comment aloud in a derisive and most unbecoming manner about the folly of the project and how we allow ourselves to get “suckered in” every year.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but those of us who knuckle under and participate don’t do it because we are pushovers…and I did muse to myself about what the clients in attendance may have thought. What other people think of me is not my business – but what they think of our company is important. Who knows, maybe those clients even came out on Saturday to support us in our efforts.

A well-known entertainer once told me of a saying he had heard during his career in England and Europe. “Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because they’re the same ones you’ll meet on the way down”.

It seems to me that “breezy and thoughtless remarks” would be best kept private – you never know who may hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment