Thursday, December 27, 2012

Walking Tall...



I have heard it said that “as a man walks, so goes his life” – which creates, at least in my own brain, the supposition that if someone has a bouncy stride their life’s rhythms are uneven as well.

What of people who saunter along with a gangly loose gait; or others like me who take two steps for everyone else’s one, just to keep pace…  Does a person’s inner self reflect in the way they carry themselves, as in “confident = walking tall” or  “slouching = shy”?

The first impression we interpret upon seeing someone for the first time is sometimes difficult to “undo” as we get to know them better. Appearances may not be a true indicator, nor conversation by telephone or e-mail – we simply form our thoughts based on experiences in the past.

A colleague who has joined our brokerage recently commented that I always seemed to be in a hurry…when in truth it’s because I walk quickly and don’t lollygag along!
A person’s manner of speaking, even the pitch and nuances of their voice can affect how we perceive that person as well. Sometimes the old adage “an empty barrel rings the loudest” proves itself true, conversely, a quieter person may not have more merit!

Yesterday, while window shopping at a large Mall, I moseyed into the shoe department – one of my favourite destinations. Espying a pair of thin stiletto dress shoes, I envisioned myself Walking Tall for a few short steps before coming back to Earth with a thud!

No comments:

Post a Comment