Thursday, August 18, 2011

Teddy Bear's Picnic...

As I sit before the computer,  an elderly ragged looking teddy bear is within my peripheral vision. He sits wedged closely between two upright portions of my desk, and though I always assumed he is a boar, the bear sports a lopsided Princess’ crown which was received by me in my Christmas stocking.

The significance, to me, of this very un-regal looking stuffed toy is the senses of both longing and affection that humans sometimes transfer to inanimate objects.
My old bear once won a contest at a retirement residence for the “oldest bear there”  - but I wish to clarify that he is not yet eligible for his Old Age Pension!
Tattered, half plucked of fur, and missing both eyes and paw soles, this bear with his crooked crown looks like a warrior.

In truth, he represents most entrepreneurs who are struggling to make their place and keep their heads above water. I think the most popular and oft-used swimming stroke nowadays is the dog-paddle – mastered early by every wanna-be business person who is swimming for their proverbial life.

Forging against the current is not a Teddy Bears’ Picnic…Remember the childhood song lyrics: “if you go down to the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise…”. Take heed of good advice, and look before you leap. The basket may be nigh on empty. Be bullish, not bearish…and stay afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment